Clarion Chartered Surveyors logo

Hastings : 01424 437 978

Burgess Hill : 01444 250 722

yellow damp meter

Planning permission and building control

Obtaining planning permission means that a local authority has given consent to applications and proposals for new buildings, extensions to existing buildings or alterations.


Not all building works require planning permission, but the majority do and we can help with this or advise if permitted development applies. We can design the building and prepare plans for submission to the council.


Building regulations are also dealt with by the local authority. These require the application of technical detail to drawings in order to comply with the current regulations.

Listed buildings are a special and particular category. These comprise buildings that are of special architectural merit or historic interest.


Listed building consent for works to this category of building are needed not only for extensions, but alterations and repair.


More detailed information is required by the local authority, often including the specification of materials to be used or details on period items such as windows.

Why do you need a surveyor for a listed building?

Structural stability, insulation and critical dimensions will need to be shown on your drawings. Use a professional and call



01424 437 978

Burgess Hill

01444 250 722

row of bright cottages clarion logo